Part-time Hourly Seasonal Contractor (mid-April through early June and mid-September through November 2023)
Supervisor/Reports to: School Program Manager
Location: 7300 Edgewood Rd, Annapolis, MD 21403
Compensation: $18-$20/hour (commensurate with experience)
ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park (AMM) is a major community asset serving Anne Arundel County and beyond. AMM educates youth and adults about the Annapolis area’s rich maritime heritage and the ecology of the Chesapeake Bay through programs, exhibits, and community events. We accomplish this mission through an engaging suite of hands-on programming and by bringing visitors to our two campuses on Back Creek and aboard the Museum’s historic skipjack, Wilma Lee.
The Education Center at the Museum’s Park Campus offers four core education programs, as well as field trips, community programs, afterschool programs, summer camps, and more. The Education Center serves approximately 12,000 students annually educating them on the history, ecology, and cultural traditions of the Chesapeake Bay.
The School Program Educator is instrumental in facilitating the Education Department’s programs for PreK‐12 students and promoting AMM’s mission through high‐quality educational programming. AMM is committed to increasing the number of school children it serves annually, and the School Program Educator will play a vital role by creating a positive learning environment for all our school‐age visitors. AMM School Programs run both in the field at our Museum and Park campuses as well as in classrooms and on schoolyards.
- Enthusiastic, adaptable, and effective teacher who enjoys working with children from preschool to high school.
- Experience teaching children of various ages in formal or informal learning environments.
- A strong desire to teach in the field/outdoors and inspire students daily.
- Degree in education, museum studies, history, environmental science, or related field desirable.
- Passion for the Chesapeake Bay, its people, and our shared maritime heritage.
- Ability to foster positive work relationships with AMM staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Ability to problem solve and respond positively and calmly to program changes.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Physical ability to work with students on AMM’s 12‐acre Park campus, Museum exhibits, boats, docks, and in varied weather conditions and ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must pass a CJIS background check.
- Familiarity with formal and informal learning theory, Common Core and Maryland State Curriculum standards preferred.
- Deliver school‐age programs at AMM campuses and in classrooms.
- Greet and orient school groups to campus to facilitate positive learning experiences.
- Assist with school‐age outreach initiatives including teacher workshops and Educator Open Houses.
- Assist with other educational programming, including classes, camps, and AMM events, as needed.
This position is part‐time, hourly, and seasonal, based on the demand for AMM School Programs. Most programs will take place during the school day, Monday through Friday. This position will be filled from mid-April through early June and mid-September through November 2023.
All contractors of the Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park are expected to be available to work a flexible schedule.
To apply, send a resume to email@example.com with the position title and your first and last name in the subject line.
The Annapolis Maritime Museum & Park provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.